Sunday, January 24, 2010

The result of an all-nighter is another ensuing blog entry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's weird to have an actual answer for the question: What is your major?
Actual Answer: History

It remains un-weird that I don't have an actual answer for the question: What are you going to do with it?
Not an Actual Answer: I don't know.

But secretly, I do know what I want to do with it.
Be a historian, duh.

Okay, in all seriousness (and delusioned-ness), it's somewhat surreal. I was never particularly interested in it all throughout high school. Who is, anyway? In fact, it might have been my least favorite subject. I remember feeling as if I'd wasted hours reading about wars and treatise and confusing dates with wrong time periods. I don't think the timeline in my head ever matched the timeline in the textbooks. So I'm still confused as to how I came to the spot I'm in right now. I think it has to do with the fact that I'm not very good at anything else, history included, and there's some appeal that wasn't there before about uncovering the past. More of it comes from being assigned primary source readings as opposed to textbooks. It's pretty fascinating how the preservation of literature and art and architecture is active and intentional. So much so that we are able to see the writings and read the words of people who've lived hundreds and even thousands of years before us.

I guess it's strange that I don't have to dabble around anymore when I was so used to being undecided. However! I do understand that there's a possibility that I won't be a history major either. (They say that most college students change their majors at least 2 times before they graduate.) Anyway, I'm just typing as much gibberish as I can right now to prevent my eyes from fully closing.. which would mean.. I'd.. be.. falling.. asleep....

Post-script: I spent the majority of my today sleeping and reading one of my new blog-favs: the rockstar diaries

2 comments:

  1. history was actually my 2nd favorite subject in high school..next to PE hahaha :)

    ReplyDelete