Friday, November 20, 2009

children's books and dying batteries

Upon opening my most recent Borders' email update, I noticed the ad a Polar Express Pajama Party (which, by the way, I'm very tempted to go to regardless of it being a "Special Kids' Event"). I remember I owned a copy of the book myself while growing up, but I disliked it for a very long time. At the time, I only stuck my nose into cartoon-like picture books.. anything that seemed too adult-like was left on the shelves to collect dust. However, somewhere down the road, I picked it up again and realized how extremely fantastical and captivating it was. I no longer have the copy, we probably gave it away at a church garage sale or to some family friend, so I'm investing in getting myself a new copy. Thankfully, I have some money left on my Where-the-Wild-things-are-themed Borders giftcard (I feel like I'm advertising for them).. so maybe I'll drop by sometime this weekend.

Lately, I've been learning a lot about myself-- things I try to ignore or cover up. But you can't deny what and who you are.. no matter how much you try. Looking back on this quarter, though it's not quite finished yet, there are many things I regret doing or rather, not doing.. But I realize how often I am quick to idolize the past, so much so that I tend to forget to live in the present and aim for the future.

To be completely honest, I've felt very lost these past few months. No sense of direction (I've never been good with directions anyhow), no particular passion, just making it through every day in the most minimal way possible. Even now, I catch myself saying, "Next quarter..." instead of "Today." Today. Today will be different.

I have 12% battery left on my laptop, but I'm too lazy to go back down from the comforts of my bed (the result of sleeping on the top bunk).. but today, right now, I'll make the effort to leave what's comfortable to recharge.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with everything you just said right now. Everything!

    My mom gave away our extensive, impressive, odds and ends collection of classic childrens' books without a second thought to my uncle's family, and we have all tearfully regretted it ever since :( I decided I'm going to make it a lifetime goal to acquire another good-quality collection for my kids to appreciate, but I can't stop thinking about how much DANG cheaper those books probably were back then!

    Anyway. Yes. Childrens' books are THE BEST

    ReplyDelete