Tuesday, March 2, 2010

receiving an up-to-date update

more than 6 months ago, my friend's boyfriend passed away.
I just found out right now.

It's true when they say you can find out just about anything from Facebook nowadays. All the latest news you need about your circle of friends/enemies/strangers' lives are within a mouse-click of your grasp. Having deactivated, reactivated, deactivated, and reactivated my Facebook (with the possibility of re-deactivating again), I have struggled with my love and hate relationship with this social networking site.

But I never expected to find out something like this.

A friend-acquaintance of mine updated her status expressing her anger against Christian posts on the Santa Maria Times regarding the death of an Eric Okerblom.

Eric Okerblom.
Eric Okerblom.

Sounded so, so familiar...

Natural response: Google it.
Led me to his Facebook.
Naturally, this is a very creeper/stalker-esque thing to do, but I needed to know why he sounded so familiar. And lo and behold, his profile picture was of a guy smiling widely, zoomed in next to a girl who I knew as one of my best friends in junior high.

The next fifteen minutes were so surreal.
I hadn't talked to her in over a year.. but when I did check up on her profile once in a while, I would see pictures of her and her boyfriend; it even still said "in a relationship with.." This whole time I was thinking she was going out with someone who had long since passed away.

I wonder how she is doing.
The last time I saw her was two years ago in my high school gym, which was also the first time I had seen her in maybe the previous three years. She was a good friend, I remember. In fact, I now live on the same street that she moved out of once our family moved in.

I don't know.

Today's been a long day.
Time to get cracking on my history paper.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps if you sent her a card or a happy spring care package might be a nice way to break the ice and say hello and show you care. Great post.

    ReplyDelete